Sunday, November 4, 2007

Spiced Banana Muffins with Cinnamon & Walnut Topping


While the guys moved to the basement to watch the game, I baked six, big arse muffins. They were so big, they overflowed in the oven. I forgot about the nuances of baking and I had to clean the oven halfway through. I knew I should not have filled the over-sized muffin tin to the top of the rims. I absent-mindedly thought they would "puff up". Even though they came out with flat tops, they still tasted awesome.

Spiced Banana Muffins with Cinnamon & Walnut Topping
1/2 cup of butter
2 cups sugar
3 eggs
3/8 cup water

3 large bananas

2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
3/8 tsp nutmeg
3/8 tsp cloves

1 tbsp cinnamon sugar
1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts (I didn't have any so I used hazelnuts and pecans!)

Beat together first 4 ingredients until mixture is nicely blended. Stir in the bananas. Stir in the next 6 ingredients until blended. Fill muffin cups (any kind of muffin cups should be filled no higher than 3/4s full) or make in a 10" tube pan. Sprinkle top with cinnamon sugar and walnuts. Press the walnuts lightly into the batter. Bake in a 325 degree oven for about 40 minutes.