Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Uni (Sea Urchin)

As you all know, I have been slacking a bit so no picture here.  Now that I have upgraded my cell phone and the plan, too, I might just be able to do better at taking pictures - impromptu. 

I love Lancaster but don't wear the bumper sticker on my car or bike.  I fantasize we are the baby city of big Apple and my dream came true over the weekend.  At Sukara, I think the best sushi place in the whole county, I had fresh Uni.  It was a Saturday where I was scheduled at the office.  I caught up on my work when the day's real work must have spread amongst my colleagues also working on a beautiful weekend on the East Coast in December.  I was determined to have a mug of beer at Iron Hill - and did so when released from my duties.  They do a fabulous job at being consistent with their batches of beer.  Of course I had a Belgian Tripel and I was set.

Having a late lunch did not leave much room for dinner so when we when to Sakura, with the air of a Belgian, I was game for something light and different.  The wait staff know us a mile away and he barely told us the specials and I say; "Why not?!"  Then I asked, what is Uni?  Sure, okay.  Again, why not.

Being a fan of Bourdain, I felt like I was in one of his shows when the Uni arrived (it must have been the Belgian).  It was fresh, they said it was alive (I was a little freaked as we did just watch Bourdain in Brooklyn at this awesome Thai "Asian" restaurant called Pok Pok NY but their seafood was still moving - at least the Uni was not - that I could tell).  Renown "Asian" chef, Eddie Huang, talked about "Gringo chefs doing Asian Food" especially those that win James Beard awards - doing "Asian Food".  How authentic can they be?! Huang goes in thinking those chefs suck and he ended up loving Pok Pok NY...  As I was saying, I felt like I was in an episode of No Reservations in Lancaster City - Pennsylvania.

I ate the Uni without soy sauce and wasbi to get the full taste and it was fragrant and a bit slimy but good.  It was served in it's shell on a bed of ice as part of the presentation with some of the spikes still moving.  Not sure that I would order it again but was honored to partake in Sakura's adventure of offering something different and fun for my palate.