Tuesday, November 25, 2014

No Substitute for Butter

It is that time of year again.  Time to bake and cook as the sun sets earlier and Thanksgiving is a few days away. I probably have about 20 frozen bananas in the freezer so I flipped through some cookbooks for some recipes.  Yes, cookbooks.  I did surf the Internet but I have some go to recipes and cookbooks and had the time to pull out the books.

I have written about the Main Line Classics II (The Junior Saturday Club of Wayne) cookbook.   I decided to try a different banana bread recipe that called for a lot of bananas and the Caramel Banana Bread was the winner.  I followed the recipe about 95% as I dumped about a cup of pecans into the mix.  Oh my goodness, the recipe said serves 16 but they way we slice up the bread in the Oberte household comes out to maybe 8 to 10 servings!  When you pour butter and sugar over anything, and broil it to a crisp, it is heaven.  So I guess I have to dig through the freezer and sift through the cookbooks for some more recipes so we don't go to the Ober's empty handed for Thanksgiving.

2 cups unbleached flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 cup butter, softened
1 1/4 cups sugar
2 eggs, beaten
5 ripe bananas, mashed
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup buttermilk

Caramel Topping-melt butter in saucepan; add sugar and milk; cook until mixture is syrupy.
6 tablespoons butter
10 tablespoons packed brown sugar
5 tablespoons milk

Sift flour, baking soda and salt together. Cream butter and sugar in mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Add eggs; mix well. Stir in bananas, vanilla and buttermilk. Add flour mixture gradually, beating well after each addition.  Pour into 2 greased and floured 5x9-inch loaf pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 to 50 minutes or until loaves pull away from sides of pans.  Cool completely.  Pour Caramel Topping over bread; broil for 5 minutes or until tops are bubbly.