Monday, April 21, 2008

Adventures of Training Camp

HPC had their elite training camp at Raw Talent Ranch this past weekend. Kristy and I discovered we both lack spatial intelligence but it did not become evident until we ventured only where "the crows fly" as Jay Moglia put it, which was about three hours into our drive. We should have known immediately when we left Kristy's as we missed our exit and drove through the heart of inner city Baltimore. The initial excuse - catching up on life and not paying attention.

The Lost River Barn is at the top of a ten mile climb so when we made our turn onto the climb, we were a bit puzzled because no one told us about the climb being a dirt road. We made comments such as; "Alright, this switchback isn't too bad. The grade is doable. Holy crap! This can't be right?! I'm not riding up this every day. Is this right? What roadie would be riding up this climb on a road bike?!" It was one of those - "you had to be there" experiences. We laughed so hard we cried and pee-ed our pants. I kept looking at my cell phone as it read no service and Kristy yelled at me to keep my eyes on the road. A mile from the top, I had bars. Kristy pulled up numbers for Jay and I got through. He couldn't figure out our location through our laughter. I told him we followed the directions from Google maps. Jay said - "My website had directions." Pause and belly laughter again. I had those directions - they were behind the Google map directions. Whoa, way off path. Jay figured out where we were and told us to continue up and over the mountain.

The phone call and pee break.
The towers that probably helped me get cell reception and helped Jay figure out where we were.
Up Shenandoah County and down Hardy County.






The drive "where the crows fly" trashed our bikes with about an inch of dirt.