Friday, April 25, 2008

Gray's Anatomy

Sunday night I pulled out Gray's Anatomy to self-diagnose my pain in the chest. I basically looked at the "pictures"; figures # 486 and 488 and realized I had no idea what could be wrong so I scheduled another freakin' appointment on Monday, 4/21.

I did go to the doctors LAST Monday and left without requesting x-rays for the chest as my knee and leg were the distractions. So of course, I go about life by jumping on the bike the next day (4/15) for an easy ride. I barely made it to work as I fought to average 12 mph. Again, the knee was the main issue (waaa!). I noticed weirdness with my breathing and my insides only after Wednesday Worlds and again after training camp. I did mentioned to Brad that when I rode for the first time since the crash, when I had my hands on the hoods, I noticed soreness under my armpit; near my right boob. What do I do, nothing but ride for a week.

Monday, 4/21: The nurse laughed as I told her my Gray's Anatomy story brought me back for another appointment. My family doctor listened to my whoas about "feeling my insides moving around when I bent over" and the weird issues with breathing. She listened to my lungs, felt the insides moving (yea! I am not crazy) then she stuck her hand under my right side ribs. Hey! No. That did not hurt when she jabbed under the left ribs.

Ultrasound and x-rays scheduled for Tuesday. No riding for two days because I was a wimp. Rode to Wednesday Worlds and my girlfriend had to wait for me because I was stiff and winded. (waaa! really, I know.) I hoped to hear from my doctor yesterday.

I got the call at dinner tonight. Fractured anterior-lateral 6th right rib. Right where I said it hurt. My teammates thought I was masturbating my right boob but I was trying to figure out what the hell was wrong. Thank goodness my doctor called so I can now worry about racing tomorrow (insert sarcasm). "You know what to do; just no contact sports." Right, bike racing isn't a contact sport until someone over laps wheels or checks you off the road trying to avoid potholes/gravel, etc. What did I post earlier; "Nothing broken, thank goodness." F#*%)^ers!