Monday, July 21, 2008

Duck!

After EIGHTEEN HOURS of driving, I am cracked, my whole body throbbing from driving back from Superweek. (Right; I meant to "type" something else for the title) Lorena and I were SO close to making it home in record time until the PA turnpike got shut down due to an accident and we got detoured off at the Somerset exit - going east. Up and down every hill and dale on the back roads to Breezewood with 18 wheelers cracked us.

When I dropped Lo off at her car at the toll exchange in Breezewood, I jumped back on the PA turnpike debating on sleeping at the next rest stop. A Beatles tune played on my Ipod and made me happy thinking about going home...

"Two of us riding nowhere
Spending someone's
Hard earned pay
You and me Sunday driving
Not arriving
On our way back home
We're on our way home
We're on our way home
We're going home"

With two hours to go, I ate crappy food, drank more caffeine and set the car on cruise control. My wrists and elbows ached from holding the steering wheel that I just about drove with my knees. I also had to sing to keep myself awake. "Peace Train take this country, come take me home again, ... Hold the Line... love isn't always on time...whoa, ooo, ooo, ooo, ... When the lights go down in the city, ... when the sun, shines on the bay, ... ooo, ... You know, that kind of singing that is on the verge of yelling, whining, droaning, straining the eye balls-singing that would make spies give away secrets - singing.

I was so out of it that I took the wrong exit and sat at a Micky Ds (Cumberland Rd/York/Baltimore exit) for half an hour debating on sleeping again or trying to read the map to get home. I hopped back on the stupid turnpike and got off the correct (next) exit for home. UGH!!! More bad singing and I am home again. If I did not drag my tired carcass in the house to type this stupid post, I would be in my driveway, sleeping in my car. Now I just hope I can shower without falling asleep.