Saturday, July 19, 2008

Ripon Red Hawk Criterium

Lower temperatures but still thick with humidity on a 1K course that was suppose to be a mile and a half circuit eventually produced a breakaway of three that included my teammate Lorena. Her first attempt at a break resulted in a strung out field that popped me and about 15 others within the first 10 laps of a 50 lap race.

I quickly rode to the car for a check and jumped on a massage table for half an hour. The race went well until the three riders caught the field with four laps to go. With two go, a crash happened in the second turn and when Jenette and Lorena did not round the corner and Susan was yelling at us, I was off on the bike.

I found Jenette comforting Lorena as the EMTs were looking her over. She had road rash all over her legs with banged up knees and a huge shiner on her right eye. We protected Lorena from her bike as it was in two pieces. She asked us how her bike was and no one answered. Jen eventually said that she might be able to reuse the components and I hoped Lorena did not hear it. I was off to the car to take Lo to the ER.

Three hours later, Lo emerged cleaned up with stitches for the cut on her cheek bone from her glasses. We said goodbye to our ER company, Sterling Magnall from Rock Racing. Off we went to the local pharmacy and AW Rootbeer. I had the best post race dinner of a mushroom, onion burger melt, large order of cheese curds (look - we are in Wisconsin so I HAD to order cheese curds!) and a rootbeer float. Lo ordered a hot chocolate and a bacon cheese burger (and fed Jdub the bacon).

I will have to post pictures those nasty later as I did not bring the laptop with me. Check out Stormin' Mormon's link on my blog as she is behind me downloading her pictures and possibly posting on her blog as she lounges in our hosts recliner.

I must say that host housing is a treat. Great people, fabulous experiences and luxury compared to staying in hotels as they make us feel like family. So I am off to hang some laundry and a midnight snack.