Thursday, October 23, 2008

Stuck Between a Red Rock and a Hard Place

Staying with Brad's mom, we are spending another week in Sedona, Arizona, with friends. Situated in the Village of Oak Creek, we are nestled between Coffee Pot Rock, Bell Rock and Courthouse Butte. This is the third time back; second time in October - the first time we visited in February.

This trip we rented mountain bikes for the week and ride to the trails. The weather is fabulous; about 10 degrees warmer than last year with temperatures in the mid 80s. For the first two days we got late starts so the heat was a bit draining. Monday we left the house around 8:30 and rode (and took pictures) for about three and half hours.

I have to credit Rob and Gretna Bill for making the riding out here more enjoyable. Since I raced Seven Springs with all the rock gardens and tight, narrow trails, I barrel over and down rocking trails. So far we have not ridden any new trails so I have attempted to ride more instead chickening out and walking. One of the beautiful trails is Templeton. It is classified as moderate but I think it is easy except for some tight, rocky switchbacks down the north side of the trail. You ride northeast along the east side of Cathedral Rock like you are on kid roller coaster. The rocks are minimal so you can ride as fast as you want and there are a few blips and dips that are rideable, too.

Once we got to the rocky switchbacks, I decided to ride it. There is a huge crevasse that creates drop offs along the trail so I ride it conservatively, butt back, tapping the brakes to control my speed. I get to a section that is very dangerous with switchbacks so tight any mistake would send you off the cliff. I am still on the bike listening to one of my friends screaming while she rides down towards the creek. Another friend walks in front of me advising me to walk not ride as it to tight for the novice I am. I had the 7 springs confidence in me and I attempted to ride as I made it down the first third of the descent. Not able to round the turn to the right and with the cliff drop off to the left, I get stuck in the first switchback that is no longer than my bike. I fell hard into the rocks in the turn, stuck under the bike. Thank goodness for the helmet. Nothing broken but I swear I heard something crack - hopefully it was just my helmet. I thought my shin and forearm received most of the damage but when we got home hours later, I had aches and bruises all over my right arse and middle back. Man, I must have blocked out falling back on the rocks. Later, I attempt to ride stuff that throw me off the trail, luckily not landing in any cacti but into beautiful red rocks and trees.