Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Winter Wonderland

We are off on a little excursion in Redfield/Osceola, NY cross country skiing. The high temperature of the day was 22 but the winds were howling. Dinner was at the Reservoir Inn, a gas station converted into a restaurant and motel. The guys had Delmonico steak with mashed potatoes and veggies, I had a mushroom Stromboli and Karen had the ham steak and mac and cheese special. We classic skied for about a hour and I was tired. Today shall be interesting as we have seven hours to ski!!! I guess I will start with skate skiing for the first time. Brad bought me skis and boots for Winter Solstice. I will have to use some one's poles or rent them as I need 135 cm poles.

We stayed at a "B&B" in Redfield, NY, a town with a population of about 300. Our housing arrangements are more like a boarding house than a "B&B" but it is sufficient. Another couple with two little boys are staying here, too. They are sledding all over the place. They are from Wilkes-Barre and have stayed here for snowmobiling past winter seasons. Snowmobilers are everywhere.