Monday, August 6, 2007

Grandview Heights Criterium


I give up - I had this post in draft as I wanted to flip this picture (and another one for a future post) but it was not happening. (Oct 8th - I figured out how to post vertical pictures - I need to use the modified folder.) Now time has passed that reporting on this home town race that goes right by my house will be brief. Basically, Hub Racing raced aggressively the whole race and lost "going all in". Leeanne was able to take that chance on the final lap and she got caught with 200 meters to go. My head was in the clouds trying to figure out what to do and it was too late. We came up with 5th and 6th. After our noontime race, Dale rode the trainer for 2 hrs watching all the people come in and out of our block party. I ran around trying to find my evil kitty that escaped with all the people at the house and everyone else partied. The minute I made those silly "lost pet" signs and posted them all over Grandview Heights, Mochachino was spotted in the basement hissing at my teammates. He never got out, thank goodness because pissy cat would not have survived.

Did I mention block party? Janet Avenue has the most cycling-friendly neighbors minus one (The neighbor that stole my cycling shoes last year. That is another post for another day). Brad and I compete both on and off the bike for this race. We have great neighbors 3 doors down that compete with us off the bike. We both have the most people hanging out drinking, eating and cheering on the riders but I think they are more enthusiast about cheering on the racers. We get tired and just eat, drink and watch. The last three years, the promoter of the race actually gave out prize money to the top three houses that cheered the most during the pro/1/2/3 race. I thought that meant partied the most - so we always did it up right with food and drink and cycling noise makers. We won some cash the first two years but came up empty handed last year. I should have rented that manikin again. So this year I got a grocery store to let me borrow the below item. And I pasted one of the best riders in PA on the Nascar guy's face!! No prize money for spectators this year. I guess he was a little short on the cash. Oh well, we still have a great time ringing those cow bells and tempting the pro/1/2/3 with beer feeds.