Monday, September 10, 2007

Wilmington Grand Prix - Rambling September

There was a pumpkin siting before fall. And this time I wasn't drinking beer. It was so hot this past Saturday that I sucked both bottles dry within one hour at the Wilmington Grand Prix. I raced terribly as I started with thoughts about the heat, my lack of fitness, tweaked running legs, wanted to be drinking beer on the sidelines, all the painting that needs to be done at home, the basement needing re-sorted, etc. I did win in a way as my body won over my mind and I finished the race in 10th place. I fought to stay at the front, tried to cover the big guns (LaSasso, VanGilder) and then fought to stay within the first chase group of eight. LaSasso and Jen Bodine rocketed off the front with a few others in tow. VanGilder waited for a gap and bridged solo as she aways does so well. And that was the break as they spit out those few others. I heard and saw the pictures that Jen Bodine raced like a rock star! Way to go Jen. She and her team have been having an awesome race season this year.

One more weekend to squeeze in some racing and I am set to race in Vegas with my awesome teammate, Jdub-Jenette Williams at the end of the month. I need to keep the intensity on. That would be the only reason I am racing into September. Normally, my season is over by the end of August. I work at a university and the semester begins the last week of August. It is like I am back in school. Everything else stops and work goes wild and takes over until next June. I almost look forward to the semester beginning as I stop riding in circles for seven months.