Sunday, February 24, 2008

Master's Night Out

After the race on Saturday, we arrived at our Asheville home (we rented a house for the week) around 3:30 p.m. The house has OLN/Versus so we showered and had dinner at the Noodle Shop at 4:30 p.m. Again, wonderful flavors danced in our mouths and filled our bellies as I had to ask for a to go "bowl".

Crispy Squid: breaded and deep fried (ummm!) squid, served with house sweet sauce made with tomato, scallion and cilantro. I must say that I liked yesterday's squid sauce better. I had a Soup Bowl of Tomato & Egg Noodle: Stir-fried tomatoes and eggs served in a vegetable broth with baby bokchoy, cilantro, green onions and Chinese vinegar with your choice of noodles (I choose wide rice noodles). Brad loves Pad-Thai: Stir-fried wide rice noodles with chicken, onions, eggs, green onions, bean sprouts, and basil. Dinner for two under $30 not including a tip and we did not order any drinks. I think this may be the best deal in town; fresh ingredients, fast and friendly service in a small, unassuming space with about eight tables.

We were home by 5:30 p.m. to watch the Tour of California. The waitstaff at the Noodle gave us advise about hot spots on a Saturday night and a copy of the Mountain Xpress. We found out that our Asheville band from last year, Jeff and Benares, would be playing at the Well-Bred Bakery and Cafe in Weaverville at 7 p.m. and we went out again after the Tour.

Weaverville is 10 minutes North of Asheville. I wanted one of each of the desserts (and cookies) and I held back. I ordered an almond-ginger Florentine and an Austrian tea cake (the last two pastries in the dessert case). I love the flavor of ginger. And the powdered sugar on the Austrian tea cake, oh, I wanted to make a mess letting the sugar fall everywhere but I did not. Brad put what was left of the Florentine away as I dusted off the tea cake. While we enjoyed the music and atmosphere, Brad had a beer, a cup of vegetable soup and half a tuna fish sandwich.



I took a few videos again with my camera so I will post a few of them later. Two hours of bluegrass and old traditional tunes, and we were on the rode by 9 p.m. as that was closing time for the Bakery. Woohoo! In bed by 9:30 p.m. Master's Night Out.