Friday, February 22, 2008

Viva Ashevegas!


After eight hours in the van with two stops for a bathroom break and gas, we have arrived in Asheville.

We endured car food of apple bread, mixed nuts, jalapeno flavored pretzel pieces, beef jerky, cheese and crackers, fizzy water and a malted vanilla milk shake from one of the scary rest stops. Brad was a trooper as he did ALL of the driving as the weather spit sleet, snow and rain all the way.

We had our mind set on a fabuluous Thai dinner at Thai Basil but we were out of luck as they were under renovations. Like zombies, we walked down Page Avenue checking out the restaurants. Even though it is February, people were dining and drinking outside. We decided on Chorizo - Latin Fare. The owner also owns Salsas, which we ate at last year. And we had a satisfying meal.

Snacking for eight hours made the two mojitos I had very tasty. With fresh ingredients in my drinks and all of our food, we ate well. They change up their menu couple of days. We started with a "Sea of Cortez Wild-Caught Herb Crusted Calamari with saffron-orange sauce".

Platos Fuetes:
Brad ordered "Maxiote Lamb" with bbq onions, poblano potatoes, black beans, grilled vegatables and pineapple piquate. I had "Shrimp and Scallop Kabobs" accompanied by Hector's choice of his favorite preparations. Later we hears a little gossip about Hector. Something about "He's out of jail already? Oh, it's nothing serious, he's just a hot-headed Puerto Rican." "He does cook up an awesome meal." And he sure did. I wanted to make sure I had enough carbs for Saturday's circuit race in Greenville and I got a side of tamale - my favorite! We did not know that the Chorizo owner is the same as Salsas until I had a bite of my tamale. The best tamale, so far. Vegetable fillings, moist and flavorful.

Our sides had grilled eggplant, mixed greens and I had a side of mango salsa made with yucca, Brad had fresh guacamole. Our meals had amazing flavors and so fresh.