Sunday, March 2, 2008

DQ & I'm Not Talking About Ice Cream

We raced the 60 mile, Fork Shoals Road Race on March 1st in Greenville, SC. It was a great, 15 mile, rolling course with some windy sections.

Basically, I got popped so I got ready to video the finish of Brad's race. It came down to a group finish with Brad winning. As we waited for an hour for the results to be posted we found out that Brad and the second place finisher, Mac Cannon, got DQ'd! Yellow Line rule.

I think it all went down at the final left turn to the finish. Mac was off the front, and as the pack made the left Brad attacked at the top, and I assume the both must have cut the turn by a few feet to make the turn.

Oh well, I guess that is the luck of the draw. Most of the race, the pack took all the turns by crossing over the yellow line to make the turns safely and it was not big deal. The officials did relegate guys that crossed the yellow line on the straight aways but did not DQ them. I guess it was tough for the officials to "relegate" Mac and Brad in the final stretch to the finish; "Beep, beep!! Hey, go to the back of the screaming-mad-pack of sprinting men because you crossed the yellow line." would not have gone over well and could have been very dangerous.

I harassed Brad enough on our ten hour drive from the race that there was no stopping for ice cream at a DQ and thank goodness. I just googled the vanilla milk shake I had last week; f*ck! Large vanilla milk shake, calories-1130 calories from fat-260. Damn. I had malted milk powder so that probably added another 100 calories and I didn't share much of it, either.