Friday, May 16, 2008

Press Conference Silliness


I can smile and wave but that is about it. We got called up and asked about how we got into cycling. Well, actually, we were probably asked how we got into racing bikes but I was so nervous I froze like a deer in headlights.

Dave Chauner, the president of the Pro Cycling Tour had our biographies from our web pages and I basically babbled about the wrong biography. I have been racing for fifteen years and riding forever so I have different stories about getting into biking, riding and racing.

Initially, I looked down at the podium to see which biography he was referencing but my eye sight is getting worse. I talked about how I stopped driving in my early twenties to clean up my driving record and I bought a mountain to get around. Since I was nervous and had different biographies running through my head, I did not speak in complete sentences, either, so the audience did not get the complete version of that biography. For all they know, I could have lost my license because of DUI. Ugh!! Well, I did not lose my license and my points were to inanimate objects getting getting in my way like porches and telephones. As Dave Chauner looked at me like I was on drugs, he eventually helped me out and prompted me on the proper biography. And the people in the "audience", they probably did not want to be there anyways or they were probably with PCT so they got a good laugh for the day.

After the circus was over, the Mayor of Reading and a radio reporter wanted me to explain my story further. Ugh. At least I did much better one on one.