Sunday, April 26, 2009

Last Weekend in April

Sorry for the slacking on the posts - life has been hectic. I still have pictures and videos to post from my travels to Texas in February.

Stage raced locally this last weekend in April, and all is good in the end in the Tour de Ephrata (at least for me). We had a record field of 70+ for the women's open field.

Saturday, I was surprisingly able to "MOVE UP, MOVE UP!" :-0 from 71+ to the top third of the field and surfed the front off and on as road racing goes. It stayed together for a sprint finish so I tried to get away twice within a few KMs to go (HA! Right.) and NO go. With 200 meters to go, I tired again with the rest of the pack and chickened out as 30 women flew by me. I was at least safe, no road rash and ready to garden. Goal for the day was to finish top five or garden at our veggie garden plot. Guess I was gardening.

Not. Fed the next wave of races for the 35+ field and also tried to help Bad Kat feed Bad Andy's team in the 1/2/3. It got HOT in the feedzone so I ate some burgers and hung out. Still had the gardening bug, especially as the race course passed a greenhouse on the course so I stopped on the way home. After picking out a tray of red peppers and snap dragons, I about passed out in the greenhouse. What was I thinking? Grabbed another tray of flowers and rushed home as I had more errands to run.

Sidetracked again after I dropped off the plants and shopped at Costco; the next thing I knew, I saddled up to the bar and had a Guinness and a cup of soup. Ah, great recovery with the 2009 NFL draft on the tv. Finally made it home for real recovery. But Brad decided we would visit fellow racer friends in the neighborhood and before we knew it, Brad was ripping up there stairs.

Sunday morning was a bag of excuses. All I could hope for is that I looked good trying to race my arse off up Pain Mountain. Gotta love Lancaster County; Even though I see cows and goats all the time, I was talking to them after the time trial and taking pictures of them.

Off to Ephrata for the downtown crit. Went to chow on some bagels but got sidetracked to the soft pretzel trailer. Oh, yea. Hit the spot with a cold coke in our second, 90 degree day in a row. (What happened to spring?! Waa, Waa...)

So I did all the wrong things today but had a good time but with no results. And I am fine with that as I still have all my skin. Bulleted home for a quick shower to attend a meeting to recruit some board members and camp committee members.

Ending the evening selling old air conditioners (Used craigslist to sell something for the first time - sweet!), pulled out the keepers and put them in the windows for our fantastic summer weather (Freakin' global warming - I knew it was going to go from cold, wet and freezing weather to damn hot weather. %#$*&! ), planted those flowers in baskets and boxes, drank lots of beer with friends and now finishing of this post to fabulous folk music on XPN (Love the Dulcimer).