Thursday, May 17, 2007

Homemade Granola

The last three years I have been making my own granola and it has been a pre-race favorite of mine with yogurt. I am all about saving money and cutting back on the sugar in yogurt so I started buying those tubs of non-fat PLAIN yogurt. We bought Costco yogurts for the longest time but the sugar and calories were too high for me. That is when I decided to by the tubs of non-fat PLAIN yogurt. Pretty yucky and PLAIN. A little better with some jam. Rocks with granola. I am partial to the vanilla tubs of yogurt BUT check out the sugar content!

My granola recipe is from the Food Network - Maple Granola. I wing it as I make a huge batch that overflows one of those Costco nut containers.

Start with at these measurements and add more of this or that as you scoop.

1/4 cup vegetable oil like soy, peanut or corn (I use canola) A friend of mine follows a recipe that uses orange juice - and brown sugar and honey instead of my "liquids" - I haven't tried hers yet.
2/3 cup dark amber maple syrup (I use Brer Rabbit Molasses)
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract

1/2 cup of toasted wheat germ
1/4 cup of sesame seeds
1/4 cup of shredded unsweetened coconut (I don't like shredded coconut - I do not add)
3 1/2 cups of rolled oats
1/2 cup green pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
1/2 cup cashews, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup whole almonds, coarsely chopped (I have added pecans, flax seeds, walnuts, ... As I add more nuts, the liquid has to increase, and sometimes the oats, too)

1 cup mixed dried fruit (currants, diced pears, apricots, cranberries, blueberries, dates, etc.)

Pre-heat oven to 225 degrees F. I have done higher but it tends to burn.

Combine the oil and syrup and heat, stirring over low heat. Remove from heat and add the vanilla.

In a LARGE bowl, toss together all the dry ingredients (oats, nuts, seeds, wheat germ) except the dried fruit. Add the syrup mixture and stir to coat evenly. If there's not enough liquid to "coat evenly", I have added honey or more Brer Rabbit. Spread the granola mixture out on a baking sheet. Bake until golden brown - about 1 1/2 hours. Stir mixture occasionally while baking so it toasts evenly. When done - stir in the dried fruits and let cool. Store in a tightly sealed container at room temperature for 2 weeks or freeze up to 2 months (unless your teammates raid your freezer and the container disappears!!)

Remember I said I was cutting back on the sugar and fat in my yogurt. Ha! At least the granola has good fat and flavorful sugars.