Thursday, May 17, 2007

Swedish Pancakes

We have this local restaurant that makes these pancakes and they are nothing like the recipes I have found online. Swedish Pancakes seem to be more like a crepe. But the "Swedish Pancakes" I have had at Wish You Were Here are more like a pancake with oatmeal. Think, heavy and yummy. I think the heavy is the buttermilk. I have made these twice and I let the batter sit overnight. If the batter is too thick, I add water before I make the batch.

2 cups of rolled oats
1/2 cup of whole wheat flour
1/8 cup of sugar or honey
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups of buttermilk
2 eggs, beaten (I have used eggs whites for the "2 eggs")
1/2 stick butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla

Make them like you would make pancakes. I cook up the batch and freeze them. Better than let go of my eggo! These may be my new pre-race staple if only I can make enough batches.