Sunday, May 20, 2007

The race of truth

For the love of coffee, cosmic carbones, foo fighters and an awesome tailwind after the turnaround, I dropped 3 minutes and 45 seconds off my time from last month's April Fool's 40 km TT in Carlisle, PA. Plus, starting toward the end of the list helped as I had rabbits to pick off. This time I came prepared with a cooler full of frozen gel wraps and freezer blocks. The only thing I forgot was the ibuprofen.

I almost missed my "start time" as I had to line up at 8:05l no earlier than 8:05 but at least by 8:05. I did not have a specific time but a rider number. I am terrible warming up for a TT. Luckily I got 15 minutes on the rollers. I switched out my wheels, added the needed layers for the cool, wet roads. The time rolled by and it was 8:00 a.m. I am pretty sure it took me 5+ minutes to get to the start going slow last month. I haul arse to the start - perfect as I did not get my heart rate up on the rollers. I got to the start line at 8:05 by my watch. I hacked up a lung to find out that they were on number 21! Whew.

The 20K out was tough with the headwind. I had hoped to do 8 minute 5Ks. The first 5K rolled by at 9:06. The 2nd 5K - 9:08, the 3rd 5K - 9:00. Okay. I did not panic. I did not want to kill myself out so I told myself to use the tailwind on the way back. I thought that I could shoot for 7 minute 5Ks. I wasn't really serious because that seemed too fast. At the turnaround, I was 8:45. My hammies were freaking out so I got out of the saddle on a few rollers. The tailwind was awesome. At 25K, I pushed the heart rate button at 6:37 Alright! That boosted my confidence. My legs, neck and hammies were screamin' but Brad's carbones were humming so I kept on rolling working a quick leg speed. All the 5Ks on the "back" were all below 7 minutes! Shocking. Amazing what a little training can do in a month. I even rode 4 hrs the day before with two 25 minute hill climbs with a 25 year old Bad Andy (blue kit, yellow bike). I just hope I have the leg speed for the National Calendar Race series that begin for me this Memorial Day weekend with my team, Hub Racing.