Monday, May 7, 2007

Tour de Ephrata - Stage 3 - Crit

As it as been for the last three years, I have been lucky to finish the crit. I am barely in shape as all the women are flying in April. Even though I faired very well in the road race and did not finish dead last in the uphill TT, I cracked for the crit.

For me, it was balls to the wall (if I had them), sling shot fast as I whipped around the back end of the pack again.

I made the classic mistake and did not double check the race details. The races all paid out 7 deep and I though the omnium did, too. So I thought I was the D**k spot for the GC - 8th. If I wanted to "move up" in the GC, I had to finish top 20 to get some points. As I am whipping around the 14 mile race, never moving up but for one lap and flushed back so fast I thought it was over. That was with 5 to go. I gave up. This was all about training and I was getting it. I hang on until the last lap and get popped into the last two turns. No biggie. I finished. Because I did not finish top 20, I did not get any points. But the GC went 10 deep. Hmm. Would I have fought harder knowing that I was still in the GC before the crit? Probably. So I ended up with the D**k spot with 11th overall. I still had a blast racing in my home county, hanging out on a Sunday afternoon with friends and family and avoiding the local fare of pumpkin whoopie pies and funnel cakes.

Enjoy the short video of the Pro 1/2 crit.