Friday, August 29, 2008

24 Hours

It is that time of year I always sign myself up to do something crazy. Last year, my first adventure race. This year, a 24 hour mt. bike race. I have done one before but on a 5-person team 15 years ago. At least I won't be racing the same bike! I had a Giant Iguana back then and now have a 12/13 year old Barracuda. Luckily a friend had given me a RockShok (back in the day) so I have front suspension. "Goodness gracious sakes alive!" My damn bike still exists and for cheap.

Anyways, in March of this year, Jen asks if I want to do a 24 hour duo with her in September. I immediately answered - "Are you crazy?!" I barely ride my mt. bike and when I do, I am slow and fall off often. And duo? I knew I wasn't that crazy. I asked her to keep looking for someone else. Later in the season, I started to soften but for a four person. Down to the wire, we pull together a team with an old pro (Team Alloy Nipples) that race 24 Hours of Canaan in the mid-1990s. In 1993, not only was 24 Hours of Canaan my first 24 hours race but it was my first mt bike race ever. They don't have results archived (don't think the internet existed back then!) but I have a tee-shirt to prove I had race. he, he.

Our cool name is all about our sponsor, Team Lupine Lights. As my one friend says, "Once you go Lupine, you won't go back..everything else is just a candle."

So I woke at 5 am this morning to finish up last minute laundry, collect recharged batteries, clean up videos, organizing errands for Brad while I work as I don't have enough bike food, etc. Wish me luck because I am a nut about biking.