Saturday, February 14, 2009

Traveling Thoughts

Traveling by myself, I get to listen and observe. The train ride from Lancaster to Philadelphia was reflective. Farmland, Amish buggies, goats and cows for the first half of the ride reminded me that we live in a beautiful place. As I dozed in and out of other people's conversations, I was glad to hear a woman in her late 40s appreciate her liberal arts education. I work at a liberal arts, state university and the some students just shy away from the importance of general education. The woman has an Arts History degree and she said if she never did anything with her degree (which I doubt has happened), she appreciated taking writing courses, the sciences and social sciences as they are necessary for everyday life.

They talked about their professions (one is a special education teacher working with autistic children, husband unemployed, art historian??), their kids, family, veteran/war experiences and the state of the economy. These people did not know each other before they entered the train but they could have as they lived in many similar places across the country (Portland, Fairfax, family in Lancaster). It is comforting to know that we still have an interest and care for each other.

As I waddled from one train to another, a smile or a chuckle at what a sight I might have been made me laugh, too. I love the sense of independence, connection and freedom in traveling. Wishing I could stay in Philadelphia to go to the Art Museums, eat in fabulous restaurants and just breath the city, I am again thankful of my home. We live near the best metropolitan cities in the world (DC, Philadelphia & NYC). We could be at any one of them in less than three hours (especially if Brad is driving). So here I am, sitting at the airport, loving home.