Thursday, March 8, 2007

Craggy Mountain (Wednesday 2/21's ride)

Craggy Mountain 40+ miles
Every road goes up. Sunset Rd/Dr (click on the "lower Town Mt." link for the windy climb of Sunset Rd/Dr) to Town Mountain Rd to Craggy Mountain. I could not believe I could climb in zone 2 while we rode up Sunset Rd. Once we got past the closed gate off on the Blue Ridge Parkway, it was mile marker 375? And I made it past Craggy Gardens (364 at an elevation of 3800+) to mile marker 366 and the guys continued to the top of Craggy Mountain at 5233’. I rode in my 39-21 for most of the 6% grade. It started to get cold about 4000’. I tried to keep my heart rate in zone 3 (150-165) but my head was cracking in the solitude of the climb. I could hear my tires grabbing the minuet gravel in the asphalt. It was great having the whole road to descend. It took me about an hour to climb and 25 minutes to get back to the gate. My wrists were sore from sitting in the drops. About a mile or so from the gate we saw a NCParks truck going up so we tightened up as he opened up the road to Craggy Mountain. It would have been ugly if one of us were over the yellow descending like a bullet.

Food – Barleys Taproom
We met Andy and his beautiful family, Rachel and their two kids Audrey (7) and William (3). Longest list of beers on tap and pretty good pizza. We had a large all-american and a large greek pizza. Brad had a French Broad Goldenrod Pilsner and a Brooklyn Brewery Smoked Weissbock (not including the 32 oz Duvel he dusted off after the Craggy Mt. ride). Me, not so much drinking. I had maybe a glass of Brad’s Duvel and ordered a Terrapin Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout - GA. Oh, I think I ate one of the "cup cakes" immediately after the ride.

Music - I finally go to hear live bluegrass/old time music at the French Broad River Brewery by Jeffrey Angeley and Benares Finan-Eshelman. And wouldn't you know, Benares's dad is from Lancaster, PA (Eshelman Mill "Eshelman"). They are working on a name for the band. I will keep you posted. Here's a quick video I posted on YouTube from the jam.