Thursday, March 8, 2007

Biltmore Estate


We hussled after the Craggy Mt. ride to shower so we could do a power-tourist-trip to the Biltmore House. The Estate is open until 4 pm, the House allows the last guest to enter at 4:30 pm, the Winery closes its doors at 6 pm (winter hrs). We get there at 2 pm; start the audio tour at 2:30 pm and barely finish around 5:30 so we bee-line to the Winery so we can taste lots of sips of wine. The Biltmore Estate is a MUST SEE. All we had time for was the House and we highly recommend the audio tour. It features 62 rooms with 21 additional in-depth topics. Brad and I would time it that we would listen to the same "numbered room". I made it though 2/3rds of the tour and had to go to the bathroom. Out of ALL the bathrooms in the House - you cannot use any of them. You have to exit the House (drop off the audio tour), go to the stable now converted to shops and restrooms. You may re-enter the house and pick-up the audio tour again but the House is SO huge I could not stop now. I was soooo close to finishing the tour. I was in the basement, the hottest room in the house. So I sat on a bench as I mentally hit the wall; my legs were tired and all I could think about was having to pee. I waited for Brad as we were in the Halloween room and it had old photographs of the construction of the House. I was sweating; totally distracted by my situation. I had to leave him and quickly finish the audio tour. I listened to all the rooms in the basement but did not get to take them in fully. Make sure you have a full day to see the House. Visit in the spring or fall; the gardens and landscaping must be amazing. You can horse back ride and the have bike paths all over the estate property. The place is just overwhelming. We will be back.

Rachel, Andy Pooser's wife, actually had an internship in the mid-1990s at the Biltmore House doing textile conservation. At one point, she had planned to do a research fellowship at the Winterthur in Delaware. Then she met Andy and is living happily in Asheville.