Thursday, March 8, 2007

Friday - Elk Mt. TT

My post to the Asheville Bicycle Racing Forum:

Re: Elk Mountain Time Trial 2006-07 "reply #17 on Feb 23, 2007, 9:48 pm"
The northern snow birds rode in a blustery head wind up Elk Mt this morning. Snow and ice all gone at the top. 32:21 zone 4/5; max for 2007 - 183 at the dip to climb to those $%*$*^ rocks. Michele

Brad Ober rode a 26:05

Food -
Thai Coconut Chicken soup – Brad’s lunch at Doc Chey’s while I was getting my massage with Paula. When Brad left for his massage, I walked downtown to eat. First stop, Espresso & Chocolate Mousse torte – at Old Europe Bistro. Bought 5 truffles for $10 plus some chocolate rounds, a chocolate carmel and two HUGE chocolate dipped strawberries at the Chocolate Fetish. (We ate all but the chocolate rounds) Then I walked to the Jerusalem Garden CafĂ© for a glass of Trapiche Cab (Argentinian) and Spinach Pie. I needed to save room for dinner at the Laughing Seed.

We end up staying at the Best Western - Woodfin. Let's just hope their renovations make the place nicer. Much better than the Roach Motel but we were missing our comforts of the B&B.

We both had the best massages from Paula Marzella. She used to be a soigneur for Saturn, Motorola, US Postal Service, CSC and Toyota-United. Brad walked around town after his massage and we met up to eat at the Laughing Seed. I had Shiitake Corn Cakes, Indian Potato Soup and a vege sushi with Portobello mushrooms, goat cheese, avocado and rice (Miyabizushi). Brad had a Tempeh Napoleon – a bowl full of veggies in curry sauce. I hada Seed Cosmopolitan - Stoli Ohranj shaken with fresh lime juice, Cointreau, and cranberry juice. Garnished with a fresh orange wheel and Brad drank a Green Man Porter.

So Brad hemmed and hawed about racing Saturday's training race in Greenville, SC. I was up for it before we left Lancaster. Brad called Andy to see when he would leave. Andy emailed us the race info just in case we missed him. I email him back that we were in - and would see him in a.m. to follow him down to Greenville, SC. I told Brad to get his beauty sleep 'cause we racing! I putzed and packed for Saturday. Woohoo! Brad was still not sure he wanted to race. He wanted to do a long ride to Mt. Mitchell. I would love to do that ride, too, but it would be boring for him with me in toe - all the other guys would be racing - or had family obligations on Saturday. So there went going out to the Jack in the Woods for live music Friday night. Damn. I am coming back to Asheville, for sure.