Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Crushed

This year I did not pay any attention to the Tour "Day" France details such as the course routes, selected teams, leaders, climbers, etc.

Yet, on July 7th, we started taping the tour. That is the only way to watch in on the tele, is by video. Those commercials are obnoxious and we prefer to watch the live tapes instead of the packaged, edited version during prime-time. The second best way to see the tour is live, that is if you are okay with crowds. In 2004, I experienced my favorite part of the tour, the mountain stages.

I set the VCR everyday for the last two and a half weeks. We watched amazing racing, the sprint finishes from the back of the peleton (McEwen), high leg spinning cadences climbing HC climbs, amazing TT efforts, etc. I tried to not be so cynical as the commentators did not mention anything about doping and dopers.

I live in the land of Floyd Landis, Lancaster County. I want to believe. I want to have faith. But all my superstars are dopers. Hamilton, Zabel, Basso, Ullrich??, ... I am so sad.

But I still am amazed. So I will program the VCR for the last few stages of the TDF 2007.