Monday, July 2, 2007

PMS Lancaster Ride

July 1st, A group of us rode to Peach Bottom, PA, to preview the Fulton RR course. It was my task to google the route. This was all decided the night before as we were drinking beer out of a boot.

Slightly hung over, I dragged myself out of bed to map out the ride.

I am not going to name any of the riders (GS Lancaster, Swashbucklers, ERA Cycling, Faulkner Honda) because they all were whining at one point or another. We had a fabulous day to ride to nowhere but half of us had kids or time constraints. The tailwind also had some of us worried about the ride back (me!).

I lost my rights as map girl as I had potential of getting my arse dropped if we followed my route - through the hill and dales of southern Lancaster County. Pro-Wayne took reign and bee-lined us pretty close to the course. The false flats and few rollers seemed deceivingly flat with the tailwind. It was totally sweet.

On one section, Ober put the hammer down. There was a brain fart with one of the guys and he hit the brakes. My hand glider buddy gave a me and the Belgian beer drinker a puzzled look. We shook our heads and laughed. Then we had to get back on as we were gapped by 10+ seconds. Boozer drove us hitting 42+ mph as my hips were unhinging. Then I heard the flyer come by me. Wow. Oh, It was motorcycles with chicks on the back. No way it could have been "the flyer".

We eventually found the Fulton RR course after riding DOWN the hill that the race takes you UP!

I had a copy of the race course so after we turned ourselves around to ride up the climb proper, then down hill, made a left onto a false flat and up a rise that took us to a right where I decided to head back because I wanted to ride my pace into the headwind.

Pro-Wayne headed back with me as he had to move a freakin' 500 lb furniture for a buddy. We bee-lined back to Lancaster on Route 272 N and the wide shoulder was surprisingly pleasant on a busy road. I tried to pull in the headwind but I was a waste. I appreciated the company and the draft home. Did I say I wasn't going to name names? Oh, well.