Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Summer Squash Enchilada Casserole w/ 3 Cheeses


Oh yea. I am not sure if it is because we just finished our Wednesday Worlds or that I love cheese and spicy food but I must say, damn this dish is awesome. And easy to put together.

1 tbl olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb green zucchini or other summer squash, ends trimmed, and cut into 3/4 in thick rounds
1 lb yellow scalloped squash or other summer squash, cut into 3/4 in rounds
1 tsp dried oregano or 2 tbl minced fresh oregano
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 cup fresh corn kernels, or frozen corn-thawed
2 cups finely shredded Monterey jack cheese
2 cups finely shredded cheddar cheese
3 to 4 cups canned green chile enchilada sauce
1 dozen soft corn tortillas, each cut into 4 strips
8 oz queso fresco or rinsed and well drained mild feta cheese, crumbled
(Not your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook)

If you do not know this already, most recipes list ingredients in order that they are mixed together.

For example, all the veggies get stirred fried together in the olive oil and most time in shifts as the onions and zucchini/squash need to cook longer than others. Add the spices, stir. Add corn. Remove from heat. Takes about 5 to 10 minutes to cook. I did 5 minutes and let it sit as I prepped as I did not want my squash to get mushy because it might end up that way from the cooker. So far, I have some crunchy squash, the way I like it.

Combine the Jack and Cheddar cheese. Since I could not find green chili enchilada sauce in Lancaster County (freakin' East Coast), I bought one can mild & one hot of enchilada sauce and 3 little cans of chopped green chilies and mixed them together. Pour 1/2 c of the enchilada sauce mix into the slow cooker and spread it around.

Layer the 4 items, 1/3 tortilla strips, 1/4 enchilada sauce, 1/3 sauteed veggies, 1/4 cheese. Sprinkle 1/4 queso fresco on top of the layer. Repeat layers two more times, ending with the queso fresco. Of course I messed up the order of the layering but it all worked out. I could not figure out "Finish the casserole with the remaining tortilla strips, sauce, cheese, and queso fresco."

Cover and cook on HIGH for 2 hrs or on LOW for 4 hrs. The casserole will begin to brown around the edges, but do not allow it to burn.