Sunday, December 17, 2017

Gateway to the West

The first leg of our trip covered under 600 miles in 9 hours with a lot of pee stops along the side of the road as Ober drank too much coffee and we filled the van twice.  We seriously did not eat or buy any food at the gas stations.  I looked as I wanted an egg sandwich but nothing beats a fresh, fried egg sandwich and I knew BK and Starbucks sandwiches would be disappointing.  

Onward to Oklahoma City, 740 miles from Indianapolis.  The road looked endless in the darkness of the morning.  


I get excited by the simplest things.  We drove through Saint Louis, Missouri, and I got excited to see the Arch.  In 1997, I attended a women's studies conference in Saint Louis where a bunch of us presented on our trip to El Salvador and their environmental sustainability practices.   We toured the Arch and my stomach dropped as we viewed the city from inside of the top the Arch.