Sunday, December 17, 2017

Stone Soup Inn

I am all about supporting local businesses and one way to do that is staying at an inn or bed and breakfast.  We scored a good rate on Expedia as we cheered on the Hoosiers at St. Joseph's Brewery and Public House. After a couple beers, we were happy to discover that the Stone Soup Inn was a mile down the road.

It was a Saturday night and the city was hopping when we left the brewery.  I hoped to muster up some energy to go out but Brad got lucky as I was running on fumes.  The Stone Soup Inn was beautiful.  They have ten rooms, some of them being lofts and a carriage house.  We booked the Craftsman room which shared a bathroom.  Brad wasn't keen on sharing a bathroom but the price was good and there was a possibility their other room wasn't booked.  I reminded him later that we stayed at a bed and breakfast in Providencetown years ago when we picked up his Raleigh bike with pull rod brakes. We ended up at The John Randall House where our room had a shared bath because there were no crooms available in the town because there was a schooner race.

Providencetown was bustling with people and it was a rainy weekend.  I was jumping in and out of the van to find a room.  When we finally found a room, it was on the third floor with a shared bath.  And we had to share the bath.  I didn't care and Brad survived. Again, the place was decorated well and we got to hang out in their kitchen for a cup of tea before we went out for dinner.  Some bed and breakfast are more formal and do not allow guests in their "working" spaces.  I know there is something to keeping to yourself and unwinding in a hotel room.  But I am the extrovert in the relationship jumping with excitement when we travel.  So I love it when the owners make us feel at home.

The Stone Soup Inn was a beautiful, turn of the century home with expansive high ceiling rooms, ten foot doors, hard wood throughout the house and wainscoting trim.  They had a gym in their basement, too.  I wasn't bright-eyed and bushy-tailed to venture down to the see their gym as I should have because I haven't stayed in a bed and breakfast with a gym and they don't have pictures on their website.

Our room was comfortable and we had the bathroom all to ourselves.  I had to remind myself not to walk around in my pjs and leave the door open like it was my home.  It is the slow season for inns  and I felt badly for their business.  Hopefully they make a killing during the in season because they have an awesome home in a beautiful historic neighborhood.  And we missed breakfast of sausage and eggs and pastries as we got on the road at 6:14 est.  You cannot get that from a staying in a Marriott.