Thursday, June 28, 2007

Baked Sea Bass

Other people's food allergies/diseases makes me venture outside of my normal eating habits, which is always a good thing.

I am going back to the beginning of June to entertain you with another food story. If you want to get exotic food, go to any ethnic grocery. In Lancaster all we have is Spanish, Asian and Italian/Greek. The last four years I have met many people that have Celiac Disease. I read ingredient labels all the time - that's why it takes me twice as long to shop than it does for Brad. But I have to be more aware of the ingredients when it comes to wheat/gluten intolerance and/or Celiac Disease.

This was the week after the Memorial Day races and we were having my teammates stay with us after the Lancaster/Triple Crown Series Races. My Kiwi mate has the food issues with wheat/gluten and a previous Kiwi racer and fabulous friend that stayed with us years ago did too, so I knew what to shop for - the Asian market for the rice noodles.

I shopped on a Friday so the store gets fresh veggies (veggies I never seen or cooked before), homemade tofu and fresh fish, probably all from Philadelphia. I saw a cooler full of Sea Bass. It was $3.99 a pound. I LOVE Sea Bass (Chilean). The sign only said Sea Bass, though. It was the whole fish, not just the white meaty flesh all cleaned and fillet. Sea Bass from where? Did it matter? It's $3.99 a pound. Cleaned and fillet - it runs about $20+ a pound in Lancaster County. I pondered the thought of buying some. I called Brad. No answer. I wandered the store. (The store is not big.) I come back to the Sea Bass. I look at it thinking it will speak to me. I called Brad again. I wait. Called some more. He hates when I do that. But I did not want to decide on my own. I wanted him to say; "Sure, honey. Buy a bunch of fish with heads on it. I know how to fillet them, no problem." Grrrrr. Fine. I buy two. I was all excited.

After the CSC race, we came home for a fabulous dinner of flat iron steak, veggies and little white potatoes (I think they call these salt potatoes in Syracuse if you soak them in salt water. I will have to try it the next time.) Oh and the sea bass. Brad was not about to touch the fish. It was ALL me. Damn. I whipped out my hot pink dish washing gloves and a bad knife. We did not have the appropriate "fillet" knife. Leeanne supervised me by telling me to gut the fish. Then rip off the head. I had difficulty doing both as I squirmed a bit at the idea of ripping off the head (the damn knife did not cut it - Ha!). Leeanne was a sweetheart! She took my gloves and the awful knife and finished the job off for me. (I would not make it in the mob)

I ran and got the computer to double check what we needed to do to fillet a fish. Because the knife sucked, we could not follow the instructions. We (Leeanne) gutted the fish and de-headed it. Then she did her best to cut it open along the spine. I smeared butter and sprinkled my cajun seasoning on it. We cooked it at 400 for 15-20 minutes. I had the first taste. Hmmmm yummy! I de-boned it and placed the white succulent flesh on a separate plate for serving. It was so tasty, I left the fish for my mates and honey and I sucked the meat off of the bones as to not let any food go to waste. I think it was a hit as I had a brand new fillet knife on the bar the next day. (Thanks honey!)

I have not bought fresh fish yet. When I do, I will let you know how the filleting knife works.