Sunday, June 24, 2007

Just say NO to Disco

I must remember not to pack my ipod in my cycling bag that gets put in the trunk when we travel. I found "Flashback weekend" on Sunny 102.1 - from Phoenix, NY.

I think we caught the disco weekend! Not quite race music but I deemed it podium music. Shake your Booty, Love will keep us together, The Hustle, More than a Woman, Staying Alive ... So we laughed and sang, all dreaming of podium spots for our team.

I do not like driving LONG distances anymore for racing, especially for criteriums because the time on the bike is WAY less than the time in the car. Since I am on a crit monster team, I try to make mini-vacations, parties or adventures in the cities we race. Sometimes the cities make the adventures or parties for us! (Watch out Charlotte class reunions) On that note, I want to highly recommend the Saturn Rochester Twilight Criterium to everyone racer (especially the women!!!) and non-racer. It is a fabulous course to race and spectate. The city of Rochester has a population of about 220,000 with buidings in the downtown area that look like they were out of the batman movies. Now this is from 1995 so no batman buildings yet.



The crowds were fantastic. The event was screaming loud with cool pump you up race music with Richard Fries loosing his voice. I love him because he makes everyone shine in the race, whether you are on the front or on the back of the field (another opportunity for the Bellie to be waving to the crowd as I was still attached to the bunch). The race was fast, dry and technical with all the turns, man-hole covers and grates. A smaller women's field made it even more challenging with the the wind but it rocked. We did our best attacking halfway through the race and covering the major players. Others helped as the race almost came down to a field sprint until Jesse McLean attacked from the back right of the bunch on the backside of the course in the final lap (I could not react fast enough because of her amazing explosiveness!!). She had a gap of a few seconds and held it to the finish. We did not get to Shake our Booty on the podium this time. Hopefully another day soon.