Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Upstate NY - the home of Wegmans

Sheba had not been to a Wegmans let alone a Super Store Wegmans. Wegmans is like a Whole Foods but better. It has the normal bad grocery store food and the whole foods, organic, gourmet, bulk foods, prepared food, patio furniture, dishes, candles, many non-food things except clothes.

The Bon Jovi Cruise that got canceled was replaced with a shopping spree at Wegmans with us "buying lunch" for an early dinner at Jan's with a mellow visit to Green Lakes Park.

We are lucky we made it to Green Lakes Park as the "let's focus and be quick" so we do not spend two hours grocery shopping. Hmmmmm. I want to blame it on Sheba. I do but I am just as bad; we are too much alike. I have shopped at Wegmans before but my head was still swirling with all the wonderful prepared salads, olive bar, cheese selection, bad food section (pizza! Chinese food, ...) I called Karen to let her know we had arrived at Wegmans (1:30 pm). I call her around 2 ish to let her know we are just about done shopping and Sheba discovers the bulk CANDY section. Half an hour later, we were still milling around sampling Italian blood orange soda with french vanilla ice cream and Karen called. So how are you doing?! "We are heading to the checkout line." It was as if a scavenger hunt began and we scattered in 20 directions. I ran for ice cream (we loved the ice cream sodas), Sheba for the Smart Water, and the cart off to one of THIRTY-ONE checkout lines.

One last detour - the "gumball" machines in the entrance/exit area. Happy Bunny Stickers. I didn't know anything about them but I fell for it. We scrambled for all the quarters we could find to get Happy Bunny Stickers. Now I want this one.

Green Lakes State Park has two glacial lakes surrounded by upland forest. Both Round and Green Lakes are meromictic lakes, which means that there is no fall and spring mixing of surface and bottom waters. Such lakes have a high potential for evidence of ancient plant and animal life.