Sunday, June 24, 2007

Syracuse

My friend and training partner, Karen was so gracious to lean on some friends in Syracuse for host housing for Hub Racing. We rolled in Friday night around 11:30 to a spacious house that backs up to a golf course. We grabbed our beds and were out for the night.

I rode with Ron and Karen for an hour + flat ride. It was a beautiful cool morning as I wore a wind breaker on the way out. The weather was unseasonably cool with the high at 19C/66F. We passed a farm that had at least 7 foals ranging in age from a couple days old to weeks old. They were the cutest little buggers.

When we got back, Ron and Karen took Leeanne and Beca out on their mid-morning ride to see those baby foals, too.

Lunch was in the village of Liverpool, NY was at the Retreat. Karen worked in Syracuse years ago and one of her friends, Ray, took us to the old hangout. The restaurant got slammed as we placed our order so we ended up freezing our butts off on the desk for two hours. It is the end of June. I am excited about this weather but wow, we truly froze. Ray was our "Bon Jovi boat cruise" connection. I found out on Friday that the "cruise" was to take place on Wellesley Island in the 1000 Island region - not the Finger Lakes, hence the need for passports. A death of a friend canceled the "cruise" adventure. After Ray met the bubbly Hub Racers, he too, was saddened that the adventure had to be canceled. Maybe Bon Jovi will be releasing a new album again around this time next year so we can help promote it. (I'm not a Bon Jovi fan, really. I just got stuck growing up in the 1980s) Gosh, those screaming women sound like the Bob Barker contestants. Binky, this is for you: The Price is Right (Another confession: I loved that game show!) I think the invitation for the boat ride, I mean "cruise" will be available next year so maybe we will have a full roster for the Saturn Rochester Twilight Criterium. Binky, I am finding you a job on the East Coast so no more excuses.