Friday, December 5, 2008

Pot Roast

The dish may not look appetizing but it was damn yummy. I am not a red meat, pot roast kind-of-gal and I chowed. Brad pulled the roast out of the freezer a couple of days ago and then decided to south for warmer weather. As I looked in the fridge last night for a snack, I saw the roast. Damn. I gotta cook that thing or out the window goes some good meat and money. Cooking all that food for one sucks but it all worked out in the end.

I had to shop for most of the veggies this morning. Fine, I love market so off I went at 6 a.m. With veggies in tow and a sugar cookie (the shortbread kind/not cake-like sugar cookie)
stuffed in my mouth, I was off to throw everything in the crock.

Nine hours later after cooking on low, I had a fabulous meal.

Recipe from Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook:

'Skye's Braised Pot Roast with Vegetables"

Cooker: medium oval or large round Serves "6 to 8" (or 3 cyclists)
Setting & cook time: low for 8 to 9 hours

As usual, I did not follow the recipe to a "T".
1 tsp salt, 14/ to 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper, 1/4 tsp paprika (I used a handful of my homemade cajun seasoning)
3 to 3 1/2 lbs boneless chuck roast, trimmed of as much fat as possible and blotted dry
1 rib celery, coarsely chopped (I threw in 2 ribs)
1 large onion, cut into wedges
2 to 3 carrots, cut into 1 inch thick coins (whatever - I scrubbed and chopped into hunks)
2 to 3 parsnips, peeled and cut into 1 inch thick coins (market did not have parsnips, I bought a ruttabega-peeled and cut into wedges)
4 starchy potatoes, peeled or not (NOT-need the nutrients and lazy) cut into 8 pieces
1 cup of beef broth (I had a 14 oz can of chicken broth)

Put the veggies into the slow cooker with the potatoes as the top layer.

Combine salt, pepper & paprika. Rub all sides of the roast with the spice mix.

Place the meat on top of the potatoes. Pour the broth over the veggies and meat. I had an eggplant that needed to be cooked so I added that around the meat so it would not dissolve. If it did, the juices and veggies would still taste good. The eggplant did not dissolve but when I placed them in a bowl with the other veggies, juice and meat, they did disintegrate.

Cover and cook on LOW for 8 to 9 hours.

I chose this recipe because I did not have to "brown" the meat and I am usually at work for 8 hours so I did not have to worry about the meal drying out. Prep time is not that long, just cleaning veggies, maybe peel and for sure - a bit of chopping. I would say that you do NOT need to add extra liquid as I did by using the whole can (14 oz) of broth. I was lazy and did not want to put the extra broth in the fridge and I confess, I was worried the liquid would evaporate. There was more than enough juice from the meat and veggies that 1 cup of broth is sufficient.