Thursday, December 25, 2008

Road Trip to Chicago

With a ten and half hour trip in the car, there is not much to write about except driving with the flow of traffic got us to Chicago in nine hours. Here are snippets of our day:

Free coffee from Sheetz, wow-bonus. Banana Carmel Cake and Christmas pie for breakfast. Texted. Did Christmas cards and tried not to get car sick (on the windy Western PA-pike, right. Didn't get the cards done, damn it!). Had leftover ham sandwiches and spicy plantain chips. I drove for two out of the nine hours. (Of course, I was sleepy when it was my turn to drive so I sang badly to Coldplay, Blondie, KC & the Sunshine Band, Daryl Hall & John Oates, Rick James, Paul Oakenfold, War, Dave Grohl, ...) We snack on cheese and crackers, yogurt covered almonds, chocolate covered dried fruit, and more chippy snacks. Then I start to stir about Chicago.

We are not going to have any time to enjoy the city so I did not want to be tempted. Yet I had my Chicago! issue of Saveur Magazine and I did not want to miss out on experiencing Chicago. I have re-read this issue for the last month, eventually knowing we would not have time to visit Chi-town. So I resolved myself to not becoming attached to any of the places or restaurants in this issue. Last weekend I read the places to visit section again and got sad. Brad will owe me weekend in Chicago (we will fly the next time).

Packed car

The other sleepy driver
Missing co-pilot
When I saw the signs for Chicago. Since it was a drive by visit, I whip out my camera and took silly pictures. Yesterday, it was in the 50's and I thought I did not pack enough lighter clothes. My hands froze and Brad blasted the heat as I froze us taking drive-by photos of the Chicago skyline.