Monday, December 29, 2008

Sunday's Road Trip to Pinedale

Back on Sunday, 12/28, Brad drove this whole leg because I was picture crazy and the wind pushed the van around pretty good, too. We drove by train cars filled with coal; later passing the coal mine. We passed many gas fields – Dick Cheney country. Gas prices are the lowest we have seen; $1.29 cash ($1.37 credit).

We saw seven bald eagles, lots of hawks, antelope and cattle. Powder River Pass was the highest point at 9666 ft through the Big Horn mountain range. The gates were up and cleared for driving. The weather was clear and in the 30s. I was in awe with the mountainous landscape. Some of the age of the geology dates back millions of years.





Our next pass 77 miles from Pinedale, WY was through the Wind River Range (Rocky Mountains). The electric road sign warned of “slick roads, strong winds”.




When we came out the other end, it was more of prairie land and small cowboy towns. Through Boulder, WY, I saw my first moose. I jumped out of my seat and tapped on the window with a silent squeal. Finally I could breath and Brad caught a glimpse of the moose. Again, it was like an amusement park car that I could not control. Bouncing up and down from excitement, I wanted him to turn around. Nope. So luckily I had more animals to amuse me; a cattle drive with snowmobiles.