Sunday, October 21, 2007

Jerome, AZ - Copper Mine Town


Monday afternoon we took a drive to our favorite town (climb), Jerome, AZ. Last time we visited Brad's mom in February 2005, we brought our road bikes and road to Jerome from the Village of Oak Creek. It took us about an hour and a half to hit the base of the climb of Mingus Mountain. This time we drove the 100 + switchbacks to the top; 7200' (picture from 2005 - Connor Hotel) The town has lots of character.


We spent the day shopping (me-eating), in Jerome. My favorite restaurant of the vacation was the Red Rooster Cafe. I had a special; the Southwest Quiche with a side of salad. I had creamy feta dressing. Wow-amazing. I worried that I would be stuffed and could not eat any homemade desserts. As I mentioned earlier, the little blackboard listed four fabulous desserts. Stoked that I had room for at least two desserts, I restrained myself and ordered the four-berry crumb pie. Karen had an apple bread pudding. I don't like bread pudding, but I would have eaten that bread pudding. It came out hot and gooey. I had the second to last slice of four-berry crumb pie. I made the table to the right of me cry as they tried to order a slice after I moaned and groaned about how wonderful the pie was and there were none left by the time they ordered dessert. The table to our left had ordered the last slice of pie. They too had some bread pudding. I think our table was very expressive about our desserts. Gotta love it when you have dessert for lunch.

Karen and I wanted to have some peach cobbler but held off to maybe come back for "dinner". I forgot to read the fine print as the restaurant closed at 3 p.m. and we finished lunch at 2 p.m. The desserts were going fast so it was probably good for our waistlines. Oh, but do I regret not ordering the peach cobbler and homemade something-so-yummy-and-probably gooey-brownie for later. I think we would have wiped that dessert blackboard clean, with pleasure.