Tuesday, October 23, 2007

John J. Jeffries

I took myself out on a date night after a long day at work on Tuesday. Initially, I was going to eat at Carrabba's and eat my favourite bread and olive oil dip with a wood-fired pizza and beer (I love carbs) but somehow I steered towards the Lancaster Arts Hotel.

I could not talk Brad into trying it out lately as the restaurant is pricey so I said; "What the hell. It might be a while until I can drag him out to eat at JJJ". The name of the restaurant within the hotel is called the John J. Jeffries. I just got back from vacation and decided to splurge one more time on me. (Denial that I am not on vacation anymore.) The best part is the restaurant is all about sustainability. The chefs purchase almost everything locally, farm-raised, organic, no pesticides, no steroids, etc. If you are every in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, you must dine here. They also take care of their full-time employees by providing health care and family-style meals from 4:30 to 5 for the restaurant employees working the evening shift. The bartender told me the restaurant thinks about everything they use right down to the trash bags and pens. Any unused drinking water is poured into a bucket and used to water the plants. My kind of living. "Food with a conscience."

I had a local brew on tap, Stoudts Triple Abbey. Great for the first couple sips but then it got bitter. I must have been thirsty. I had two appetizers for my dinner; cauliflower and leek soup (with saffron and sumac reduction) and Mac and Belly (penne, aged cheddar, Bavarian Swiss and pork confit).

The bartender knew I had no idea what I was ordering and what kind of portions I would receive when I asked if I could have the Mac and Belly without the "belly" - pork confit. He recommended that I have the "pork confit" with my Mac. I am glad I did as the portion was an appetizer size. Mmm. Pork fat! Every dish had a great presentation. Homemade bread from A Loaf of Bread with fresh butter came with the soup.

I heard the fresh press coffees are incredible. Brad and I drink fresh press coffees at home often. I don't know what it was but the Mexican Chiapas Fair Trade Fresh Press Decaf Coffee was pipping hot and delicious. Of course I had to order dessert. The Brulee'd Maple Goat Cheese Cheesecake (with carmel sauce and gala apples compote) caught my eye.

As I sat at the bar having my meal, I thought the music selection was odd for what I considered an upscale restaurant. I loved it, though. Remakes of the Who, the Beatles, live Neil Young and then Romeo Void played. The bartender probably thought I was hitting on him when I asked about the music selection as "Never Say Never" played. I just thought it was an eclectic mix of music. He mentioned it was someone's Ipod section. Interesting. I am not sure if the music also played in the restaurant. I was too embarrassed to ask anymore questions.

Despite the small portions, I left content with a full belly. I did have appetizers so I should not complain. I had to unbutton my pants as I drove home. The budda belly has returned tonight as my cats have been trying to sit on my belly while I post (the computer occupies my lap). I may post another time about the behaviors of my cats. They are peculiar.

Okay, I will quickly post about my cats. I call them retarded but in a nice way. Just tonight, they had been pacing the house waiting for me to come home. Brad would talk to them like kids letting them know I would be home soon. (How do they know what he/we are saying?!) When I do arrive home, their eyes widen and they run around the house like the easter bunny just came in with a basket full of pure Belgian chocolates. They follow me where ever I go. So as I sit here and post, they have been walking around, circling my chair, sitting on my receipts on the side table, knocking off my notes, pens, etc., letting me know that they exist. They are just silly cats ready for bed and they will not go to bed until both of us are in bed. It is three hours past my bedtime so I must - as the Amish say; "outen the lights".