Sunday, October 28, 2007

Octoberfest Ride 2007

We rode in a NW headwind for an hour-twenty to arrive at the trail head of Colebrook Road for a 1 p.m. departure.

My plan was to ride to the meeting place and maybe the first bar then turn around and ride home.

We rode west to T.J. Rockwells for our first stop. Brad gave me sh*t as we hopped on the bikes to the Black Gryphon as I whined; "It's only a quarter mile up the road." And the guys chimed in that the rest of the stops are on our way home, too.


We bee-lined on the main drag from the EndZone Bar to Henningan's Bowling Alley. From there, Brad reeled me in and said we are going home! We did not have anyone to pick us up unless Rob's wife was given a call after their last stop at Bube's Brewery.


With a tailwind/crosswind from the west, we cruised home bleary-eyed. Brad kept me at my limit while I mumbled in my head about his pace. I watched my computer go from 24, 27 to 30. I could sense the smirk on his face as we pedaled in silence. I never quit or yelled at him. He did the right thing. We did not need to play with the boys any longer and we needed to ride as fast as I could. We rode for about three hours for 51+ miles, not including all our stops. I was glad to be home, making a shopping list for the week.

A mini movie is forthcoming. The last clip is all I saw for the ride to Colebrook and the ride home. I am not sure if the guys want Brad to ride any more Octoberfests. Octoberfest is for fun riding. The HMB rides are for hammering.

My legs are going to pay for the fun as we did not ride all week because of the rain. Trainers? I am the only one that rides a trainer and I don't touch the thing until late winter, if I absolutely must.